Ok. I want to start this recipe off right away by saying I struggle with soups. I love to eat them. I love to make them. Unfortunately, they don’t love me back and they very often end up tasting horrid! I don’t know what it is, but I suck at making soups!
Now, you’re probably wondering why on earth I would want to share a soup recipe with you then? Well, since you asked, this soup is fail-safe! I have made it many many times and it ALWAYS comes out great! I love this soup. I keep several extra servings frozen in the freezer at all times to thaw and eat when ever I need a comfort meal. It’s ultra easy to make, even I haven’t managed to screw it up yet, and it’s ooooh soo yummy! This is by far my single favorite recipe and I hope some of you try it out and like it too!
Creamy Broccoli Cheddar Soup
1/4 melted butter
1/4 cup flour
1 lb fresh broccoli – chopped into florets
2 1/2 cups half and half
4 cups chicken stock
1 cup grated carrots
8 oz grated sharp cheddar (grate your own here, it won’t melt smoothly if you use bagged)
1/4 tsp grated nutmeg
salt/pepper to taste
1. Melt butter in a soup pot or large stock pot and add the flour to make a roux. Whisk while adding the half & half and the chicken stock. Simmer for 20 minutes.
2. Stir in broccoli and grated carrots. Add nutmeg, salt, and pepper (more salt if using homemade chicken stock, little to no salt if using store bought stock). Simmer over low heat 30-35 minutes until broccoli is tender.
3. Remove soup and puree in blender in batches – or use an immersion blender if you have one. Make sure you blend it until smooth though, if you take it out too early you will still have the little pops of green from the broccoli and it can add an unpleasant texture. Return to pot when blended.
4. Heat pot up again and stir in the grated cheddar. Simmer for 10 minutes.
5. Serve with a crusty bread to help sop up every ounce of that goodness out of the bowl.