With this post, I have decided that I needed to include a new title to the “blog status” of my husband. So far he has always been the merely the Grill Master Extraordinaire. Today I have to fess up and admit that his also our household’s Saucier as well. Much to my frustration, this man has totally got a knack for whipping out a complimentary sauce, marinade, or flavorful reduction – with little to no thought or planning what-so-ever. I on the other hand struggle to get the ratios of a sauce just right when I go by taste alone and often need to rely more heavily on a recipe as a guideline.
I HAVE managed to pretty well perfect my chicken nuggets though, if I do say so myself. The trick is to marinade the chicken in yogurt! Have you ever tried to marinate with yogurt before? I realize it is very very common in some cultures, but it was a new concept to me and I was highly skeptical when an old co-worker mentioned it to me in the past. I finally tried it out a few years back and it does AMAZING things to the tenderness and juiciness of the meat!
Soo…..today you are getting two recipes for the price of one – my delicious, and totally kid-approved, Homemade Chicken Nugget recipe, AND my hubby’s quick and simple Honey Mustard Sauce as well!
Homemade Chicken Nuggets
2 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts (chicken tenders work just as well)
1 cup Plain Yogurt
1 cup Bread Crumbs
1/2 cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
1. Wash your chicken and slice into strips or nugget sized pieces.
2. Place your sliced chicken into a large zip lock bag and pour the plain yogurt in as well. Smoosh it all together so the yogurt evenly coats the chicken pieces and then let it all sit together in the fridge for 20-45 minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 450
4. Combine your bread crumbs and Parmesan together in a bowl and mix together. Take a piece of chicken out of the yogurt marinade, dip it into the bread crumbs and cover it evenly. Place the nugget onto a well greased baking sheet and repeat until all the chicken is breaded.
5. Bake for roughly 15 minutes until cooked through and lightly crispy on the sides, turning over once half way through.
While the chicken is baking, you can whip up the Honey Mustard Sauce on the stovetop.
Honey Mustard Sauce
1 tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 TBSP Dijon Mustard
1.5 TBSP Honey
1. Pour all the ingredients into a small pan mix to combine well. Heat the sauce until it begins to bubble.
2. Let it simmer for about 5 minutes while stirring constantly.
3. Serve warm