I don’t know how you like your soups. I’m personally ALL about the cheesey-soak-your-bread-in-it kind, and this soup is exactly the right kind for sopping up in bread or crumbling a bunch of crackers into. I was experimenting a little, so yes, this soup is very similar to my Creamy Cheddar Broccoli Soup, but I decided this one was different enough to stand all on its own. It’s also super easy (which is kind of a requirement with me and soups).
Cheddar Veggie Chowder
2 TBSP Butter
1 cup Grated Carrot (about 2 carrots)
1/2 cup thinly sliced celery (about 2 stalks)
5 cloves Garlic, minced
4 cups Chicken Stock – – – you could substitute vegetable stock if you prefer
2 large Russet Potatoes, peeled and diced
1/2 cup Water1 TBSP Flour
2/3 cups Milk
2 cups Broccoli, chopped (about 1 large head)
2 1/2 cups Cheddar, freshly grated
1. Melt the butter in a large stock pot and add the grated carrot and celery. Heat until tender and then add in the garlic. Saute it all up for another minute or two.
2. Pour in the chicken stock and add your potatoes. Let simmer until potatoes are cooked through.
3. In a separate bowl, or small measuring cup, add the flour to the 1/2 cup water and mix together. Add the slurry to the soup pot and mix and let simmer for a while longer until soup starts to thicken up.
4. Add in the broccoli and the milk and continue cooking until the broccoli is tender.
5. Stir in the cheese until fully melted and serve warm.