Chicken salad is a dish that brings thoughts of summer to me. Picnics, family parties, barbeque’s, or even just a cool lunch on a hot day. It’s easy to make, and just as easy to make in bulk for parties or large gatherings. You can eat it in a pita, a tortilla, or on a croissant. Hamburger buns, sandwich bread, or you can dig right into a pile on your plate with a fork. It travels well, tastes light and summery with the crisp apple slices mixed in, and is just simply perfect for warm weather eating.
Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast, roughly a pound and a half works well
2 Carrots, medium sized, chopped
3 stalks Celery, chopped
1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp Onion Powder
1/2 tsp Paprika
1 tsp Parsley
1 tsp Oregano
1 cup Chicken Stock (Homemade is always best! Click HERE to see my recipe for homemade stock!)
2 TBSP Butter
2 TBSP Flour
1/2 cup Frozen Corn
1 Red Delicious Apple, medium to large sized, chopped
1 Green Granny Smith Apple, medium to large sized, chopped
1/4 cup Mayonnaise
1/4 cup Yogurt, plain or Greek
1 1/4 tsp Coriander
salt/pepper to taste
1. Place your chicken breasts into a pot with the chopped carrots and celery. Add in the garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, parsley, and oregano, and then pour your chicken stock over it all. Cover and cook at a simmer for 15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked all the way through.
2. Remove the cooked chicken from the pot and strain the stock out into a separate bowl and keep it aside. Reserve your juices!
3. Chop the chicken and put it aside with the cooked carrots and celery.
4. Into the same pot you used for the chicken, melt the butter and add the flour to make a roux. After the flour has cooked a little, slowly stir in the saved stock in. Stir until sauce is thick and smooth.
5. Return the chopped chicken, carrots, and celery to the pot and add in the frozen corn. Mix thouroughly to coat with the sauce you’ve made. Cook for a few minutes to allow the frozen corn to thaw and cook, then remove the pot from heat and let it start to cool while you make the ‘dressing’.
6. Wash and chop your apples.
7. Make your dressing: In a very large bowl, mix your yogurt, mayo, coriander, salt, and pepper together. Add the apples you just chopped into the mix and then the chicken/carrot/celery mix. Stir everything all together until it is evenly mixed.