Yesterday Hubby came home with a ham. Yup. Randomly. Just like that, he came home from work and with a sly grin he handed over a six and a half pound ham. We have no occasion coming up and no party to cook for, but he had a coupon that enabled him to get the ham for only two dollars and he assumed I would be able to figure out something to do with it.
Little secret? I have never cooked a ham before! A ham-steak, yeah sure, but an actual massive ham? Nope. No clue. Google is a wonderful little invention, isn’t it?
Did you know you can cook a ham in a crock pot? Did you know that as odd as that may sound, the ham comes out tasting absolutely amazing – soo tender and juicy!? Best part is, it’s practically fool-proof too! AND I can see major benefits of cooking the holiday ham in the crock pot and freeing up much needed oven space for large family parties and holiday occasions too. This recipe from Tammilee Tips was clearly the way to go.
1 large Ham – mine was 6.5lbs and it just fit into my crock pot
2 cups Pineapple Juice
1 cup Light Brown Sugar
1/2 cup Maple Syrup (the real stuff, not the pancake syrup)
1. Place ham into your crock pot and give it a good rub down with the brown sugar on all sides.
2. Pour your pineapple juice and maple syrup over the ham.
3. Cover and cook on low for 4 – 5 hours.
4. About three quarters of the way through cooking, baste the ham with some of the juices in the bottom of the crock.
5. Let the ham rest for about 10 minutes before carving.